d

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A Chicken and Quilts from Last Year


Here is one of D&LS's chickens. D&L are wonderful & helpful people. For example, L answered a composting question for me this weekend about whether walnut leaves would be harmful in my compost. K & I have a lovely walnut tree in the backyard of the house we bought this past spring. After buying the house, we found out that the downside to a walnut tree is that it is a Tree of Death - it releases a toxin that kills most other plants (not grass though) within the radius of its roots & branches. L, a plant biologist, warned against putting the leaves into compost, as the toxin may well be in the leaves, and then I would be creating Compost of Death (or at least Compost of Ill-Health) - not your general aim when composting.

Unfortunately, I had already added the leaves. And mixed them in. Thoroughly.

LC has requested that I show off the quilts we made last year for flood relief. The first two were crib- or lap-sized:



The next two were something like twin or full bed size:


This last one earned a nickname, but now that I come to think of describing it, I realize it was completely backwards, and made no sense. We were doing a marathon amount of quilting at the time and were probably sleep-deprived.

8 Comments:

Blogger Bashirs Momma said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Bashirs Momma said...

Just because you have made the Compost of Death does not mean you must USE the Compost of Death. Dump it in a garbage can and have the city pick it up.

Then again, I believe the city takes yard waste and make mulch and compost out of it. You will then spread the Compost of Death throughout the tri-cities area. It will be like an organic toxic spill.

Soon your backyard will be targeted as a site for manufacturing Compost of Mass Destruction.

And we all know that nothing good can come of that.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Dearest Cupcake said...

Toxic plume!!! You are close to Endicott... I can't wait to have a baby or a flood so I can get a special quilt!

7:00 AM  
Blogger Bashirs Momma said...

I almost missed my "Anarchist Sister's Wikipage" link on your site.

Good stuff.

I decided not to kink it from my blog, since there is a chance she would see it ang get mad. Like she got mad about me not buying her a short bus.

But I am glad some people will see it. It is classic.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Bashirs Momma said...

So which Mary Hamilton print are you getting? Post it on your next entry so we can all see!

Hey, this stinks. I can't edit my comments. Sorry I keep deleting.

:^(

7:49 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

What lovely quilts! I gotta figure out how to make one for LL!

7:54 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

PS - I can't seem to leave a comment w/o signing into blogger.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Claire said...

I think I've managed to change it so that people do not have to sign in.

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home