d

Saturday, December 09, 2006

A Trip to Western PA


Western PA, a land of bright greens (at least in the summer) and the occassional orange creek.
KS & I went out to Clarion for Thanksgiving, and took a day trip into lands to the east, including Oil City. Oil City is not far from Titusville, where oil was first drilled in North America (was oil drilled earlier on another continent? I don't really know). This photo is from one of the bridges in Oil City. The main downtown area seemed to be over there, at the base of the hill. It's on a point where Oil Creek joins the great Alleghany River - wonder if there've been any archaeological investigations there?I know nothing of Oil City, though it's my official birthplace. My family never lived there, it was just where the hospital was. We passed by this interesting kind of grotto. From the small bit of time I spent in the Southwest, I feel this structure is lacking a lot of saint statues.
After the grotto, we stopped at Mystic Pig Cycles (disappointingly, no website) in Reno, PA. This stop was to continue KS's investigations of motorcycles. But Mystic Pig specializes in Harley's, which are quite pricey.
Finally, we ended up on a rail-trail along the Alleghany River. Unlike our local rail-trail, this one apparently extends for miles, connects towns, and runs along a beautiful river rather than running in back of stores and a parkway.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bashirs Momma said...

Hey! Nice pix! I think the next time you go back, you need to be well equipped with saints... see the Catholics for that one. We'll hook you up...

5:06 PM  
Blogger Dearest Cupcake said...

I have a few Jesuses (Jesii?) I could hook you up with!

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home