d

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Love is a Battlefield?

In the mornings, the plan is that I work on my dissertation. I started out well this morning, and then went to trawling for wedding spots on the internet. Today's supposed to be our day for scoping out a couple of state park possibilities, up near Ithaca (their public lands are much more scenic than ours down here), but there's snow on the ground and K's not out of bed yet.
So, I just found that people get married at the Newtown Battlefield State Park, out towards Elmira. The location would be handy, and they have a quite nice-looking rustic lodge constructed by the CCC in the 1930s where people hold receptions. Only thing is, the park is there to commemorate the Battle of Newtown, part of the Clinton-Sullivan campaign which aimed to (and largely suceeded) "remove" (i.e., kill, burn down the crops & villages) the Iroquois and open up their lands to colonization. We're both archaeologists, working in New York State, occassionally working with the modern Iroquois. So, not checking that wedding site out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bashirs Momma said...

Well, there goes the idea for the Pat Benatar themed wedding.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Bashirs Momma said...

Ok. Ok. Don't delete my link.

I have updated my blog...

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home