d

Monday, May 07, 2007

A FO and more problems with math

Yay! I finished the 2nd placket neck sweater from Last Minute Knitted Gifts! (Well, third, actually, if I count the now-frogged soy silk placket neck.)
I got off track with figuring out problems with other projects, and it ended up being a week late for AG's birthday. However, I'm hoping 2-year-olds don't notice late presents that much. Now it's just a random new garment.
He did seem to like the fish buttons. I made it with Tahki-Stacy Charles' Tweedy Cotton (mercerised). It was a little slippery to work with, and I think my tension suffered a bit. The yarn itself is quite nice, with 2 strands each of 3 different colors. The recipient child's mom is allergic to wool (I've seen her break out in hives), so wool was out. Best not to make mom allergic to her son, and the allergy could be inherited.
Since sometime last year I've been knitting away on the Huck Lace Shawl from Morehouse Farm Merino Knits. It's been moving along as a backup project. Whenever I'm stuck on something else, or have finished a project, I've just picked it up, figured out where I left off with my notes on a post-it & worked on it some more. Now it's getting pretty long.
The shawl is roughly divided into thirds - two thirds at each end with the main pattern, with mainly st st in the middle. I'm going along, almost through with the middle section, when I realize I really have only 1 more skein left. Huh. It appears that my gauge is off and I'm basically making this shawl denser than it's intended. I am happy with the feel of the fabric, so I sent off a couple of yards of yarn to Morehouse to see if they can match me up with a couple more skeins.
And, just for fun (a strange concept to 2 grad students), K & I went up to a state park near Ithaca for a short hike on Saturday.

This is near the start of the upper gorge trail at Robert H. Treman State Park, and just a minute or two's walk from where K & I will be getting married in September. The upper gorge looks like the road to where the elves live.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home