d

Monday, May 28, 2007

Preserve us from the Demon of Weak Nerves!

This is an early 20th century advertisement for Wolcott's Instant Pain Annihilator - just the greatest patent medicine ad I've seen so far in my diss. research.

See the little demons, pounding and drilling into poor beardy's head? They're numbered and identified as: 1) Demon of Catarrh; 2) Demon of Neuralgia; 3) Demon of Headache; 4) Demon of Weak Nerves; and 5) Demons (yes, plural) of Toothache. With the grim reaper standing in the background. Since I have way more background info than I need for the diss data, this will probably keep the title of Greatest Patent Medicine Advertisement.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bashirs Momma said...

Reminds me of a bad Saturday night I had in Toledo...




Ok. Never been to Toledo in my life. But that sounds cooler than "reminds me of a bad Saturday night I had in front of the tv with an Ithaca pale ale..."

9:34 AM  
Blogger Claire said...

It's quite evocative.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hey now, that looks like the beginnnings of a kickass user icon....

3:14 PM  
Blogger Bashirs Momma said...

Do you think this guy had anything to do with Eliminating Jersey?

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home