d

Sunday, March 02, 2008

On a fence

So, I'm wondering... Lizards or miters? (Dearest Cupcake, you're not going to like this, but then again, you're in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, so what are you going to do about it?)
I've been working along on this mitered square blanket (ala Mason Dixon Knitting) that I had started with my 12-skein stash of Noro Kureyon colorway #128, thinking that 12 skeins might make a whole blanket. It doesn't, not to my concept of something to cuddle up with on the couch. So, I bought 4 more skeins of Kureyon in 2 different colors, which gets me up to a bit more of a blanket.
So, this morning, I took a dive into the yarn stash, Noro section, and found these 3 squares I started at some point for the Lizard Ridge blanket.
So, is there any chance that I'm nuts enough (and spendthrift enough) to make 2 Noro blankets? The simpler option is obviously to frog these 3 LR squares, knit up 8 more M squares and be done with the mitered square blanket. But, of course, I went and browsed through some of the 559 LR projects on ravelry... And, well, the LR seems a lot more interesting to have on hand.
I am not 100% indecision, though. I've been working on the Candle Flame shawl in Southwest Trading Company's bamboo. It's lovely. The yarn's rather slippery, so that I actually have to twine it around my fingers to keep the tension proper, as I hear people generally do with knitting. The stitch definition is fantastic, very nice for this lace pattern.
And, I've even finished things.
Earlier this year, I made the Koolhaus hat in Debbie Bliss Donegal Aran Tweed (though there is a problem here, it's too small, and keeps popping off my head, making me into a conehead - I'll probably redo it b/c the pattern and the yarn are both quite nice).
No problems with the Trellis Scarf in Rowan Silk Haze. The pattern was fun to do, the yarn is gorgeous, and I worked out how to make both ends of the scarf have matching points.

And, I made a Be My Dischcloth for my mom. Since Valentine's Day is my birthday, my parents used to give me some present each year with hearts on it. So, when I saw the dishcloth, I thought I might as well reciprocate. And, washing dishes or wiping up spills seems like a great use for something with hearts on it. And it was a bit of a lesson in reading the pattern. I cast on the 47 sts, did the seed stitch border, and started following the chart. K & I were watching a movie & I wondered now & then why the dishcloth was coming out so rectangular, but kept soldiering on. When I got all the way through, it looked like the picture, but kind of squashed. Which would be because the chart is for every other row - the alternate rows are just plain st st. So, reknit, followed directions, soaked, blocked & popped in mail in time for Feb. 14.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dearest Cupcake said...

I was a little afraid you were hinting at ripping the miters to make ridges... were you? The Lizard Ridge is lovely, and whatever you choose to do will be beautiful. Candleflame looks awesome!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Claire said...

Yes, the subtle undercurrent is a thought of ripping the miters to make lizards.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Bashirs Momma said...

I LOVE the heart dishcloth! GREAT!

I was also afraid of the "Ripping it out" option. I think that you should make the two. You don't need to FINISH both now, with summer coming, so you can save a little cash up and buy in bulk on ebay. Ebay IS the best place to get yarn, anyway. Don't you know that?

I love both options. And the Candleflame is also lovely. YEAH!

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home