d

Monday, April 30, 2007

I used to be good at math

Well, I've been working & working along on the top-down Summer Cardigan from Knitting Pure & Simple. I'm using the lovely green Ella Rae Shibu that I found on sale a couple of weeks ago. My gauge with this yarn is 1 st more over 4 in than the pattern's gauge, so after a mathmatical consultation with Cupcake, I went for the XL size, which would otherwise be a bit too big (this XL, anyway, most often I am wearing XL). (Note small fierce calico outside, guarding the house.) Yesterday at our Sunday knitting at La Tazza, I came near finishing the 5th ball of yarn, and had knitted a little over 12" of top-down sweater. I was noticing that the armholes seemed huge. In fact, I could easily fit my head through one of the armholes. Very easily. So I strung the live stitches onto waste yarn and was able to confirm that this sweater is way, way too big. So, more math computations later. In the meantime, I'm back to the backup project, the grey wrap.
And here is a more floral representation of spring at our house. The big forsythia in the far background is in a neighbor's yard. The little one in the foreground is one my mom brought from PA for our yard. There's a little, skinny stick of a lilac behind it, which is just starting to put out leaves, which mom also brought up last year. Most of what's in our garden is still a bit more like this:
This is one of the perennials I put in last year. It seems like all but one survived the winter. Day lillies are coming up, and some mystery items. I think a couple might be some bulbs I rescued from an archaeological site last fall. They had already lost their flowers at the time, so they'll be a surprise. Even the oregano has come up again. It's spring in upstate NY, and it's coming along nicely.
ps - the small fierce calico is one of our two metal dragons, here's a shot of the two metal dragons taking time out from their hard, hard lives. The fire ox is elsewhere.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, that's too bad. I've notied that the armholes are huge for a lot of the top downs.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Claire said...

The armholes were the first sign, overall the whole thing too big as well. I may need to look at other patterns.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Bashirs Momma said...

Aw... your little forsythia is so adorable. Soon, it will be the MIGHTY BUSH!!

Is that orange boy really that big? Or is is another case of optical illusions?

6:14 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

I specialize in forced perspective cat photos.

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home